Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kill and Be Killed

I was reading through the NY Times Book Review section today (it's Sunday afternoon after all), and ran across "Kill and Be Killed," the title of the Crime novel reviews. I know it's a cute title describing the books but it seemed an equally fitting description for the plight of the authors whose books were under review.

I could feel the pain and I haven't been there. How about this one—"For all her impressive command of the action...April Smith couldn't write a stock thriller if she tried." I read the review three times and still couldn't figure out whether the statement was meant as a compliment.

Oh well, I can't feel too sorry, even a bad review in the NY Times substantially increases book sales. Or, so I've read. . .

2 comments:

Pattie T. said...

Some publicity is better than no publicity, and I tend to think book reviewers get jaded over time and really have no idea what the public wants. They just keep banging out their reviews to earn a living. Would people read their columns if their reviews were always favorable? One wonders. I judge for myself. There are some popular authors at the moment who are dreadful writers and yet they continue to sell books. Go figure. It's just one person's opinion. I hope anyone who receives a bad review just takes it with a grain of salt. And they should take the good ones this way as well.

Harol Marshall said...

Well said!