Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Once in a Lifetime Story

On a visit to see my son in Melbourne Beach, Florida last month, I saw an unusual sight. About 9:30 in the morning, standing on the balcony of our hotel room with my binoculars, scanning the ocean, I spotted a group of dolphins moving toward the beach. Suddenly, in their midst the square black nose of a whale surfaced.

After watching the group for several minutes, I realized the group of about a half dozen dolphins were turning the whale away from the beach and guiding it back out to sea. I couldn't help but think they put humans to shame.

I have no idea how common this behavior is for dolphins, but I know it's a once in a lifetime scene I was fortunate to have witnessed. Wish I'd had a video camera instead of the binocs!

2 comments:

Pattie T. said...

Actually, I think this is pretty common behavior. They are the Border Collies of the sea, herding things back to their proper places. Nature's a wonder!

Harol Marshall said...

What a great term! I've never heard that before. It was certainly a sight to see!!